There are several CPA exam review courses available in the market, which is why it can be confusing to decide which review system will work the best for you. Below is a list of the 5 popular CPA exam review courses and a summary of each course’s strengths and weaknesses that may help in the decision making process.
Becker CPA Review
- The lecture notes, multiple choice questions and software are comprehensive and user friendly.
- The live lectures are endorsed by the Big 4.
- Becker has a professional team that updates the content on a regular basis.
- The material contains very few typos and errors.
- Some feel the materials are overpriced.
- The software license expire in 12 months, which is often not enough time for many candidates
- Re-take classes cost over $1,000, which are higher than competitors.
Bisk CPA Review
- It is recommended by 2 of the Big 4 for self-study courses.
- There is a money back guarantee for the software products.
- One of the instructors, Bob Monette, is a nationally recognized CPA expert.
- Many students believe that Bisk alone is not sufficient enough to prepare them for the exam.
- The textbook is exactly the same as the CD, so there is no point in buying both.
- The material is not updated as often as Becker or Wiley.
- The money-back guarantee is very restricted and only few are able to qualify.
Wiley CPA review
- The multiple choice questions and simulations are very popular and prove to be effective for many CPA candidates.
- It is very affordable. The software sells for about $80 for each section or around $230 for all four.
- The book can be wordy and difficult to understand.
- Most candidates feel there is too much material included with little guidance.
Gleim CPA Review
- The review has great practice tests which are organized and good supplementary materials to other review programs.
- It is also affordable compared to Becker.
- There is no lecture course.
- Most feel that the books and audios are not useful.
Yaeger CPA Review
- It has an old-school approach, which is helpful if you like someone who writes on the board and explains the concept to you.
- Live phone support is available. Often, you can actually talk to the owner Phil Yaeger himself.
- It has an old-school approach, which might be a turn-off for some people.
- Some candidates feel that the lecture videos can be somewhat disorganized.
Different CPA exam review courses cater to different needs. Therefore, it is important to learn about the strengths and weaknesses of each review system, and then to devise a study plan that may consist of a mixture of the different courses that will help you pass the CPA exam.