2020 Nourish NC Tax Season Food Drive
Did you know that 1 in 4 children struggle with hunger in New Hanover County? And, did you know that over 16,000 people in New Hanover County live in food deserts? Nourish NC’s research has found that food insecure children are more likely to:
- Experience chronic illness & weakened immune systems. They are sick more often, are slower to recover from illness, and are hospitalized more often.
- Have impaired concentration, poor academic performance and increased grade repetition.
- Have higher school absences and late arrivals.
- Have lower math and reading scores.
- Have higher levels of behavioral & emotional issues.
Adam Shay CPA, PLLC wants to help combat hunger by teaming up with Nourish NC to feed hungry children in our area. We will host a food drive during our 2018 tax season, which runs from January 1, 2020 through April 30, 2020.
In the busy world we live in, it is so easy to forget how lucky we truly are to be able to run out for lunch or grab dinner with a loved one. We also take for granted the social aspect that comes with sitting down to eat with someone. We don’t even think twice about doing this, while others right here in our community may not know when or where their next meal will come from.
There are specific items that Nourish NC needs any given week. Please do not donate expired or junk food—Nourish NC will not provide expired or junk food to their kids. The most wanted list for Nourish NC can be found here: Most Wanted List.
If you are interested in donating, please bring your food items to our office! You can also learn more about Nourish NC by visiting their website, Nourish NC , or by contacting Caroline Montgomery, [email protected] . We look forward to seeing you and teaming up with you to help end hunger in New Hanover County!