When are tax returns due?

The individual and partnership tax returns are due April 15.

The corporate tax returns (including S-Corporations) are due March 15.

What should you do if you do not have your information together by these dates?

If you are not able to file your tax return by the due date, you may be eligible for an extension. An extension would allow you 6 additional months to file. Your return would then be due by September/October 15.

What form should I use?

The form to file an extension for the federal is Form 4868 for individual and Form 7004 for businesses. Be sure to check with your state. There will usually be one for the state as well. NC's is the D-410 for individual and CD-419 for businesses.

What if I owe money?

Filing an extension is ONLY an extension on time to file the return, NOT an extension for payment. If you think that you are going to owe, it is a good idea to send a payment in with your extension. Your tax preparer should be able to do a projection  in order to get you a reasonable amount to pay in.

What happens if I owe and do not pay?

If you do not pay and you owe, penalties and interest will accrue on the amount due.