If you are filing an extension for your individual income tax return, please read the following to help you decide the amount to pay and how to pay.
If you anticipate that you will owe with your 2017 income tax returns, either because you have in the past or because of changes this year, we encourage you to pay in with the extension. The extensions are due April 17, 2018. We can assist you with estimating your tax liability by doing an extension workup. This would involve collecting all of your income and deductions (either actual or estimated). The actual amount due when we file your tax return could be different, especially if we are using estimated figures. However, it is beneficial to pay whatever you can with the extension, because any amount due that is paid after the due date is subject to penalties and interest.
You may reach out to us if you are interested in the extension workup so that we can provide you with our fee to prepare it. If you are interested in this, please let us know as soon as possible, as it does take time to calculate and process. If you are not interested in the extension workup, but would like to pay, you could at least pay what you owed for your 2016 income tax return. We will file the extensions for you, but if you’d like to pay, you will need to do so by paying at the following websites. Please be sure to print a copy of the confirmation and provide to us so that we have record of your extension payment.
- Click make a payment.
- Reason for payment -> Extension
- Apply payment to -> 4868
- Tax Period for Payment -> 2017
- Hit continue and continue following prompts until you receive confirmation.
- Fill in your contact info and hit continue.
- Select Calendar Year 2017 – it should auto select this.
- Fill in all information and hit next.
- On line 1, enter tax liability for year as the amount you would like to pay in. On line 4 Payment Amount, enter the same amount. Hit next.
- Choose payment selection and continue through remaining prompts and screen until you receive confirmation.