Most people have moved at least once in their life. Once you are settled into a new home, it can be the best feeling in the world, but I think we would all agree that the actual moving process itself can be a stressful experience. 

A common question that we get is, do you need to notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and your state of an address change? The answer is, yes.

Why do they need your address? Any correspondence from the IRS is mailed. If they do not have the correct address, there is a chance that you would not get the notices. This could cause a very small problem to turn into a huge problem. Ignoring the IRS will not make them go away (whether it is intentional or not).

How do you notify the IRS of an address change? While you have the option to draft a letter or call, the most straight forward and easiest way to complete this process is to use the form that they provide. Simply fill out Form 8822 and mail it to the IRS (which can be found on the IRS website).  By using this form that they created, you are assured you have given them what they will need.   North Carolina requests that you mail them a letter.

Anytime you mail items to the IRS or state, we recommend scanning or copying the item for your own records. You can certify mail it, or at the very least, keep track of when you mailed the form in.

If you have any questions about changing your address with the IRS or state, please contact us.